Wednesday, September 23, 2009

A Child-like Honesty

I love little kids. Just thought I'd throw that out there. I taught Cubbies tonight, and as I was preparing the lesson (and trying to hunt down those little terracotta pots that are a pain to buy in bulk anymore), I started thinking about why.

Preschoolers have no formulated ideas or preconceived notions as to social norms. Society has not yet taught them things like it's weird for a graduated high school student to color, that when somebody stutters it means they're stupid, what people should look like in order to be pretty. They haven't learned to put up a front in order to look cool until they become a completely different person. They question the important things: why God does what He does and how He does it. They don't question the things that should be certain: who they are and that God loves them.

These little kids want to learn and thrive and love and be loved with the purest, Godly love. They are who they are, and it's not something to be questioned or hidden. If they want to jump around like a monkey, then by golly they're going to jump around like a monkey and it doesn't matter what it looks like. If they have a question, they'll ask it, because they want to know and they don't care if they'll look stupid or not. These little kids are so transparent, flawlessly open and honest.

I want to look at people without those preconceived notions. If I don't know something, I want to just ask. And if I want to color, then darn it, I'm going to color! I'm sick of altering what I look like for the people around me until I've lost who I originally was. I want to ask the questions of God that will lead me closer and closer to a pure relationship with Him rather than fester and produce doubt. I'm tired of living in this jungle tangled in the vines of what I have learned growing up from that little-kid-age. I'd rather jump back into that coloring book page of wide meadows with the great, blue sky, with everything open and pure and free.

No comments:

Post a Comment