Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Official Diagnosis

I can just picture walking into the colorful office of a shrink, plopping down on his couch, and he looks at me over his reading glasses and says, "So, Kaycee, what seems to be your problem?"

"Well I'm not sure, Doc. I was online one night and spontaneously decided to take part in this thing where writers everywhere write a fifty thousand word novel in thirty days. It sounded like fun!

"But then I was working on my psychology homework one evening, and I just couldn't focus, because my character, Brett, has been really shy and hiding in the shadowed corners of my mind, and I can't seem to drag him out to figure out what his story is. I'm about eight thousand words behind now, and the days just keep marching on and I still don't know what his problem is! I'm certain that he's doing it just to torment me. He's going to wait a week or two until it's too late to catch up, watch me fail NaNoWriMo, and laugh.

"So to cope with my frustration, I went to the NaNo forum and went into the Spork room where I grabbed my cyber spork and, instead of prodding Brett out of the shadows with it, I just jumped up and down screaming "WHY ARE THERE ONLY 24 HOURS IN A DAY???!!!" almost hoping that I'd poke my eye out with the spork. And in all this frustration, I didn't have time to finish my psychology chapter on psychological abnormalities.

"What do you think, Doc, am I crazy?"

The shrink will look at me and smile gently, trying to mask the horror in his eyes, and say "Don't worry Kaycee, I know some friends who wear white coats who would love to help you with your problem."

That's right, folks, NaNoWriMo is eating my sanity. Or whatever sanity I had. And you wanna know something?

IT'S A BLAST!!!

3 comments:

  1. Sanity? What is sanity? Oh yeah, I remember that. That's what I had in October.

    NaNoRevisMo is eating my sanity too. Blah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But that's okay, sanity is SOOOOO over-rated!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahaha, I think Linda Hall could help you! Hahahaha!!!! She specializes in abuse stemming from cults. And we all know your characters have at least some kind of union formed against you!

    ReplyDelete