Saturday, October 17, 2009

Out of the Dust

I am taking a moment to take a breather from the ridiculous task of "prettifying" the basement. (Word for word, that is the assignment I was given this morning, I kid you not). So I got all of the books perpendicular to the floor, which always makes me feel better, then looked at the wall with the fire place... and almost cried. The entire wall is stone-- jagged stone that protrudes from the wall. As I was vacuuming up all of the dust and cobwebs, I remembered my older brother and I playing with cars and Lego's and finding ledges for our little pretend people to climb.

Then came time for the mantle. No joke, I would hold the nozzle of the Kirby two inches away and the dust bunnies would crawl. This entire wall and everything on it hasn't been touched since before the basement became Mom and Dad's room, which was six and a half years ago now. I was vacuuming the pictures just to see who was in them. The whole entire task was rather outrageous.

There were baby pictures. There were pictures of grandparents, great grandparents, aunts and uncles. There was a picture of me in my polka-dotted pajamas, blending in with the matching sheets. My big brother when he wasn't quite so big holding baby me. Gramma holding my baby brother. My mom's senior pictures. Smiles, family, happy times, life.

Then I found a box that after vacuuming it I discovered to be blue. It was full of my parents' wedding pictures. My mom was so young, and she was glowing, fingering her bouquet, smiling in every shot. My dad was hardly recognizable: he was thin, all of his hair still jet black, and with this goofy grin on his face that said, "This is exactly where I am supposed to be, and I'd like to see you try to challenge it." Mema and Papa (my dad's parents) were happy-- honestly happy. Two of my great grandmas were in those pictures.

But they were stuffed in an unmarked box and buried under dust bunnies that hadn't been disturbed in six years, and I found them playing Cinderella while my parents and little brother yell at the Huskers upstairs. The mass-cleaning is in preparation for a family reunion tomorrow (which was an impromptu event, Mom just kind of said on Thursday, "By the way, we're having 20 people over on Sunday, hope nobody minds!" not only to my little brother and I but to my father as well). I haven't seen these people in years. I hardly know them, they don't know me, but we're all vacuuming up the dust bunnies and putting on big smiles to see each other and pretend for a day that it matters.

Plastic smiles frustrate me to no end, and I'm claustrophobic and anti-social anyway. I think I'll hide in my office with my psychology homework.

1 comment: